The purpose of the M.Ed. in SPED program is to provide the quality training needed to meet the needs of the special education students in our schools with highly qualified SPED teachers. The program is offered for those candidates that already have an undergraduate Education degree. Students would profit from the intense training of a Master's program in Special Education which would offer enhanced effectiveness in the present day SPED classroom. The program will be offered in traditional and online modalities.
MASTER OF EDUCATION (M.ED.) IN SPED K-12
ADMISSION, MAINTENANCE AND GRADUATION REQUIREMENTS
- Must have an undergraduate degree in Elementary, Secondary or K-12 Education.
- Must hold a current Class A MS Teacher/Educator License issued by the State Department of Education or be eligible for a reciprocal MS Educator License. (A photocopy of the standard educator license is required.)
- Must have at least twelve semester hours of undergraduate courses in education and psychology.
- Must have met or surpassed the MS State minimum score on the Praxis II Specialty Test.
- Must maintain a 3.0 quality point average.
- No degree requirement may be waived without the approval of the Graduate Dean.
Required Core Courses (6 semester hours)
EDU 6504 Research — Methods and Procedures (3 sem. hrs.)
EDU 6535 Curriculum Development (3 sem. hrs.)
Required Content Courses (24 semester hours)
EDU 5413 Current Education and Psychological Testing Procedures (3 sem. hrs.)
EDU 5445 Characteristics of Students With Mild/Moderate Learning Problems (3 sem. hrs.)
EDU 5455 Individualized Programming for Students With Mild/Moderate Learning Problems I (3 sem. hrs.)
EDU 5456 Individualized Programming for Students With Mild/Moderate Learning Problems II (3 sem. hrs.)
EDU 5457 Teaching Students with Moderate Learning Problems (3 sem. hrs.)
EDU 5459 Organizational Procedures for Special Education (3 sem. hrs.)
EDU 6488 Diagnostic/Prescriptive Reading (3 sem. hrs.)
PSY 5435 Psychology of Exceptional Children (3 sem. hrs.)
Total: 30 semester hours