Master of Music Degree (M.M., M.M.Ed.)
The Master of Music degree may be earned in Music Education, Music Performance, Piano Pedagogy, and Vocal Performance and Pedagogy. All courses are chosen in consultation with a music advisor.
Admission to the Program
- All entering graduate students must attend a graduate orientation session in which Music Placement Examinations in music history and music theory will be given. These exams will be given during the student's first semester of graduate study.
- The applicant must have Prerequisites: Candidate must have completed an undergraduate degree with a major in music. Those seeking the M.M.Ed. must have an undergraduate degree in music education.
- Any transferable credit from another institution, dating back five or more years from the request for transfer, must be revalidated by examination.
- An audition is required for consideration for entrance into the Master of Music in Performance, the Master of Music in Vocal Performance and Pedagogy, and the Master of Music in Piano Pedagogy.
- The GRE (Graduate Record Exam) General Test is required for all non-business, non-educator licensure degrees. The examination is to be taken at the first time it is administered after the student enrolls in the Graduate School. A minimum verbal score of 146 and a minimum quantitative score of 140 , and a score of 2.5 on the writing assessment of the GRE General Examination is required to be admitted into one of the master’s programs in the Department of Music. The verbal and quantitative scores will not be combined.
All degree candidates must pass the departmental comprehensive examinations in their last semester of graduate study or the following semester. Written Comprehensives are scheduled three weeks before the end of each semester and are based on a comprehensive knowledge of graduate course work. Oral Comprehensives are scheduled one week following the Written Comprehensives for all degrees.
Graduate students may take applied studies for 1, 2 or 3 credit hours.
Prerequisites: Graduate standing with sufficient background in subject area is a prerequisite for all graduate courses.